(I wrote this just after the 2008 Olympics)
Right! the Olympics are over, and the wife has, coincidentally, come back from her vacation. And I have been summarily instructed to take my feet off the cushions, my head off the couch sides, my butt off the couch proper, and my ass out of the door, and I have also been enjoined to go out and turn an honest penny to feed family and pay bills. The good times are over.
What I have got left are a bunch of visual memories, stories, and a whole lot of gripe.
Some of the stories are brilliant:
- like how the magnificent and glorious Yelena Isinbaeva rubbed her opponents, particularly the American girl, in the dirt by winning the gold almost be default, and then going out to break the Olympic and world records, while the other girls sat and watched with a really sick expression on their faces. Mean? Sure! Proving a point? Of course! The American girl had boasted of ‘kicking Russian butt’ before coming to Beijing. So who was kicking whose butt now?
- like how Usain Bolt prance like a prize stallion after his world record. So he is a prize stallion, and Jacques Rogge is a bureaucrat with no heart.
- like how Abhinav Bindra stood there with a Mona Lisa smile on his face – while I wept as the tricolour went up
- like how the GB team finished 4th in the medals tally, and got 19 golds, focusing on sports which you played sitting down. There’s a case study in there in how this tiny country just focused on winning and did it in some 7 years.
And now for the gripes
- its enough already, media! how much can you squeeze one gold and three bronzes? Sure, the best haul we’ve every had, but really, it’s peanuts given the number of souls our country produces every year, it’s really pathetic
- the little girl from Delhi playing her table tennis match in Beijing without her coach, because the Ministry had said that one person only should go with her, and some jerk in the association had decided that an official would go on a junket to Beijing while her Bulgarian coach would cool his heels in Delhi at a per mensem cost of Rs 400,000
- Sania Mirza retiring from her very first match due to an injury. What kind of preparation did she do so she got injured before her very first match? And if she was carrying an injury anyways, why the f did she go?
- our Sports Minister live on camera was caught asking Pullela Gopichand “Who are you?”
- like I want to puke everytime Suresh Kalmadi comes on camera and the fat bearded SOB talks of bringing the Olympic Games to India, and I hope that the International body had enough sense not to give it to a country which has an unhealthy sports tradition, and can’t even organize a 8 team football tournament without messing it up – witness the AFC Championship in Hyderabad/Delhi in July/August.
- and when will our sports administration be freed from greed, corruption, and incompetence so our kids can get proper training and support and we breed more Bindras and Kumars, and we’ll have a hundred Bhiwanis?